Monday, October 18, 2010

PHA Info Seshhhhh

Did anyone else find the PHA Info. Sesh super exciting??!!! For the first time I felt like a recruitment guide... I was actually surprisingly nervous. I kept reminding myself not to slip up- making special note of the "lingo" I was using and making sure to give each girl equal attention and to be genuinely interested in learning about them.

The Info Session reinforced a lot of what we have been discussing in our class---especially engaged citizenship and how we represent ourselves to the rest of campus. Seemingly overnight I had become aware of misrepresentations that we are giving ourselves and how there is a need to educate all of our membership on the "do's" and "don'ts" of self-promotion. It's the simple things that we can work towards first like referring to the bid process as "recruitment" rather than "rush" and ourselves as "recruitment guides" rather than "rho gammas." If our own leadership is not educated as to why we should not be using these terms, it is unrealistic to expect our new members to understand the reasoning behind it.

As a business student, I am constantly going into interviews and feeling as though I need to over-promote myself and explain my qualifications due to the fact that the bulk of my leadership experiences in college have stemmed from Sorority and Fraternity Life. How great would it be to not have to explain myself, but rather for the population at large to understand the social, philanthropic, and service-oriented aims of our community? THAT WOULD BE FABULOUSSSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment