Saturday, December 4, 2010

"it's the end of the world as we know it and i feel fine..."

R.E.M. is a group of music geniuses. Ok, so maybe the 'end of the world' is a tad over-dramatic, but it's the end of the quarter nonetheless and I feel better than fine, I feel GREAT.


I feel so prepared to be a Recruitment Guide- we have an incredible network that we have created. I have learned a lot about my strengths and my weaknesses, as well as those of my fellow recruitment guides, and more specifically my partners, Jenn and Heidi. I really feel as though I've gotten a sincere insight on how the three of us will interact with our PNMs and one another. We all have a lot to offer, but in very different, yet complementary ways and I feel as though we have been well prepared, so that we can fully articulate our love and passion for our chapters and for the Greek Community at large.


On a more personal note, many of the preconceived notions I had regarding individual chapters in our community have completely changed over the course of the quarter. I think it is very ironic that women like myself, who were chosen to represent PHA as leaders and confidants share many of the same intrinsic prejudices and competitive characteristics that we are trying to counter. This is one of the greatest lessons I have learned throughout our classroom sessions and through learning and practicing the Social Change Model--- in order to foster change and build excitement around a cause or an objective one must fully commit themselves to that belief and practice it.


As a senior, I  want to commit myself to being a more positive member with the time that I have left. Honestly, as of late, I have been feeling rather disenchanted with my chapter. One of the reasons I joined my chapter and why I continue to contribute to its aims and ideals is because in the past, every single member took ownership and had proprietorship over the organization. I no longer feel a though this is the case and I would like to commit myself to bringing the importance of understanding and appreciating each individual's contributions and characteristics.


Lastly, I would like to mention that I could not be more excited for what lies ahead with respect to recruitment and furthermore, change for the better in the Greek Community. We have the resources at our fingertips, we have strong alumni support and academic and social backing as part of the greatest university in the world and most of all, we have a few committed individuals who believe in the power of collaboration and the high ideals and principles our community was founded upon.


GO BUCKS. GO GREEK.

No comments:

Post a Comment